Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Sometimes you need to step away, take a few things off your plate, re-shift your focus and figure out what it is you want to accomplish...


Well, it's been awhile since my last post and given the topic, that is exactly what I needed to do. I had to step back and take a good hard look at just where I was going and how I was going to get there. I realized I had way too much on my plate...like being an extremely busy mom- isn't enough, I was eagerly trying my best to share my knowledge and heck, even make some money doing just that. I have all these wonderful ideas, (maybe too many) nonetheless, my workshops were unsuccessful and not many people came. That left me feeling frustrated, sad, disappointed and confused. What was I doing wrong, why aren't people interested, how can I make this work? These are all questions that I began asking myself on a daily bases- so much so, that ultimately I just needed a breather! I needed to step away and take a few things off my plate temporarily, anyway.  

Even though my mind was severely cluttered, I couldn't stop thinking about my life as a fitness competitor. I just couldn't let this go, deep down I wanted more. I wanted this next journey to be different...I wanted to be able to just give it 200% and walk away with that feeling of "I've done it"! I've done absolutely the best I can and be happy with that feeling. This was the first thing that came to my mind when I began to prioritize. Of course being Mommy will always be my first priority but competing is a close second for the time being anyway... 

So with that being said, I've decided to join a team. "The Elite Heat" coached by Malenna Saunders. This team is based out of New York City and I'm so excited and thrilled to be apart of this amazing, unstoppable team... I've known Malenna for sometime and have even had the pleasure of hanging with some of the girls from the team at my last show. There are so many positives to being part of a team and I realized I was sort of missing out. Like I stated in my earlier posts, one of my major struggles was having that accountability. Even though, I have the drive, the determination, that was the one thing that would help me get to the next level (competition wise) and for some that accountability can help them from spiraling into a negative pit that can ultimately keep you from ever seeing results. Along with accountability, being part of a team, brings you new friends, new ideas, and people that really understand you 100% because- they too are doing the exact things you are (eating and training wise.) It's not something people understand.

 For some odd reason, doing what we do, isn't as socially acceptable as being a triathlete, or a marathon runner. I've gotten some nasty looks and remarks from people that are close to me and people I don't even know...and I've heard other competitors speaking of the same topic backstage. I'm not sure why that is...all I know is there are so many benefits for me personally- for doing what I do. #1. I'm teaching my kids a healthy lifestyle and not by forcing them either, I want that to be their decision and when they're ready. #2. It gives me more energy..yes- even when I'm up and at the gym at 5:30 am before anyone is even awake in my house. #3. That energy makes my days more positive #4. It makes me look younger ( I swear this is the ticket to the fountain of youth) #5. It keeps me healthy all year round- less colds, flu & illness..just to name a few!

Along with training for my next show (which is 14 weeks away) I plan on studying for my personal training certification once my kids have returned to school. Until then my workshops will remain on hold. I'm already feeling less overwhelmed and very excited to continue this journey for my 6th show. Once again I will blog every week until showtime....

Be sure and check out my fitness page on Facebook- Sonia Ryan Fitness- I've got some new summer recipes for you to try....

1 comment:

  1. You go Sonia...I believe in you. You have inspired me to better myself in many a ways...so thank you

    ReplyDelete